Sunday, 24 February 2013

Visibly crinkly


matryoshka is unsure...
 I've mentioned Muji* before - as well as awesome shawls (see last post here), they also sell compressed tshirts (link to them is here). Not only great for reducing the environmental impact of shipping, they are particularly good for taking travelling - DH took one on a camping trip and assured me that putting on a fresh tshirt after several days of wearing the same grotty one (eww) was heaven. I had a slight fail when I picked up this one for him, as I picked up a small, which he is not. But not all was lost..
*enthusing about & linking because I love.


ta-dah! (wobble)
This was an outtake photo, but too good not to share. I am not sure what I was doing here. My trousers are 'junior', or perhaps 'starter', harem pants - there is a crotch drop, but it is rather modest. There are the.most.comfortable.trousers I have ever worn (from Sweaty Betty* - link to a previous post here). I am thinking of wearing them outside the house, although am not sure I could get away with them at work :-)

*enthusing about & linking because I love.



see, still quite crinkly
 In other news, the latest People Tree* catalogue came through my door:

*enthusing about & linking because I love.




People Tree are an ethical clothes brand based in the UK. It supports small-scale producers in developing countries who produce clothing by hand-weaving, embroidery, knitting etc. In case you were wondering, my ethos with clothes is to:

* spend as much as I can on quality / get amazing steals from charity shops - I discovered all my now-favourite brands through them

*wear the heck out of my clothes, wash them carefully and mend them

*or if I fall out of love, donate them - I consider it donation-karma for my next amazing find

It worries me that mountains of cheap clothes are made every year, worn a few times then binned (because often the quality isn't good enough for repeated wears). It isn't that I think the expensive brands are best - some have terrible ethical footprints and aren't necessarily good quality, but if I buy the best I can afford and find from the ones with the cleanest record / from charity or consignment shops, then this must go some way to cocking a snook* at fast fashion?
[gets off soapbox].

* Favourite phrase ever

I'm never sure what I can do, picture-wise, in terms of posting catalogue photos - so I have linked to my Spring wishlist from People Tree:

A rather nice red and navy sweetheart neckline dress - (it'd need belting I think?)

A hand knitted cardi with a bit of fit, but also drape

Rather natty square-dotted cropped trousers (and the flared top the model is wearing with them is pretty too)

Is there anything you fancy this Spring?


(Will be linking up later to Visible Monday - a little early on a Sunday as a week of hectic-ness approaches, including two days on an interview panel. Eep)


10 comments:

  1. I like your approach to ethical fashion! The dress is my favourite of those 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Sheila, the People Tree dress is my favourite too.
    I am pretty much an all secondhand shopper, but if I did need to go retail for anything, I would definitely NOT go fast fashion. The charity shops are full of worn out Primark, etc, these clothes are not made to last.
    Cute outtake pic - the wobble makes it! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just had to include it! no idea what I was doing.

      Delete
  3. Cute cute cute! I actually started looking for Muji stuff on ebay. (no luck) I love that the small tee fit you! I totally would have snagged one too. The trousers are totally cute.

    Your stance on ethical fashion is spot on. Most of my good investments are in shoes, and my 'cheaper' options come from thrift stores, but I think it's a good balance to keep myself dressed and ethical. Fast fashion is such a huge business, there's brand new stuff sitting in our local Goodwills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MM, I wanted to avoid soapboxing, but it's close to my heart..

      Delete
  4. People Tree sounds like a neat company! I am loving that dress you found, I think it's adorable! I'm not quite sure what I'm coveting for spring yet! I'm sure I'll have a list soon, especially since I've been on my shopping ban!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bethie! It's payday today and I fancy me some new clothes :-)

      Delete
  5. Totes adore crinkly tee and, er, harem pants.

    I am becoming more aware of the footprint left by too many clothes in The Great Circle of Clothes. I'm trying hard to edit down my wardrobe to a core closet of only things I love and wear a lot. I will happily mend my faves :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you have amazingly high shopping karma with all that thrifting...

      Delete

I appreciate every comment, thank you so much for dropping by!